Want to buy the Airtel Kenya 4G Smartbox? Now you can – at 50% off. Over the last two to three days I have received text messages from Airtel about their Smartbox offer.
They have made the device easier to acquire – thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic and constant reminders to citizens all around the world to stay at home (work from home).
Here are the SMS I received from them.
- ‘Work from home with the new Airtel 4G Smartbox. Get 50% off + 25GB when you buy before 15th April. Priced 3,499 down from 7,499. Visit any Airtel shop to buy.‘
- ‘50% OFF + 25GB FREE! The Airtel Smart box is now 3,499/- down from Ksh. 7,499/-! Offer lasts up to 15th April 2020! Visit an Airtel shop to get yours today! 50% OFF + 25GB FREE! The Airtel Smart box is now 3,499/- down from Ksh. 7,499/-! Offer lasts up to 15th April 2020! Visit an Airtel shop to get yours today!‘
In this article I am going to briefly mention the Airtel Smartbox specifications – and then it is up to you to decide if you want to purchase it – or stick to other alternatives such as:
- Using Airtel Kenya data bundles using a modem – by Airtel or a universal modem from Jumia Kenya online shop.
- Using Airtel Kenya internet via a 4G Mi-Fi router. For example with the Airtel 4G Mi-Fi which goes for KSh 4,499, has a rechargeable battery, comes with 15 GB free data, is portable and allows multiple connections of up to 15 devices.
- Using Airtel internet on your smartphone or tablet (and taking advantage of the Mobile Hotspot / Wi-Fi features to share your data / internet with other people / devices).
Airtel Smartbox specifications / features
- 4G capable
- Prepaid service
- Connect upto 32 devices
- Works with Android, Mac and Windows
- Free 4G SIM card
- Plug and play
- 25GB free data once the box is activated
Airtel Smartbox price
The price of the Smart Box has been slashed from Kenya Shillings 7499 to Kenya Shillings 3499.
Where can I buy the Airtel Smartbox?
- At an Airtel Shop near you
- Or online at Bovic. Buy the Airtel Smartbox online and get it delivered to you.
And the Airtel Smart Home bundles you can buy for this device include:
- Home 2000, a 40 GB plan, which goes for KSh 2000 and is valid for 30 days
- Home 3000, a 70 GB plan, which goes for KSh 3000 and is valid for 30 days
- Home 4000, a 100 GB plan, which goes for KSh 4000 and is valid for 30 days
Complaints against Airtel Kenya internet
The number one complaint I found online from customers using Airtel Kenya internet is poor network. So, before you purchase the box, maybe check the internet speeds in your area.
Or if you already have an Airtel line, try accessing the internet on your smartphone / tablet / laptop using the prepaid line. Because you don’t want to be among the people cursing Airtel for offering slow internet services to its customers.
(Note that the advertised speeds of the Airtel Smart Home Router… are as high as 50 Mbps for upload speeds … and as high as 150 Mbps for download speeds).
Summary of issues some customers have:
- Slow download speeds
- Poor streaming experiences
- Out of areas covered by Airtel Kenya 4G network
Check the internet speeds in your area. That way your expectations will probably be in line with what you get once you purchase the 4G Smartbox.
To read more about Airtel internet and bundles, read the following articles:
To read my other articles on Airtel products and services, go here.
To read my most recent articles, go to Telcos.co.ke.